- Senator Marty Block was elected in November of 2012 to represent California’s 39th Senate District, including the cities of San Diego, Coronado, Del Mar, and Solana Beach.
- He chairs the Senate Education Budget Subcommittee, the Capitol Knesset, and the Legislative Jewish Caucus.
- Block was elected to the California State Assembly in 2008 where he represented the 78th Assembly District until his election to the Senate. He served as chair of the Assembly Higher Education Committee for three years.
- Block previously served for 8 years as a member of the San Diego County Board of Education and then served 8 years as President of the San Diego Community College District Board of Trustees.
- During that period he also served as a San Diego Superior Court Judge pro Tem, Statewide President of the California County Boards of Education, President of the San Diego Chapter of the American Jewish Committee, and Founding Chair of the San Diego Latino/Jewish Coalition.
- Since his election to the Legislature, Senator Block has been honored as the Legislator of the Year by the:
- American Legion of California
- Crime Victims United of California
- Faculty Association of California Community Colleges
- Multiple Sclerosis Society – Pacific South Coast Chapter
- Consumer Attorneys of San Diego
- San Diego Deputy District Attorney’s Association
- San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council
- San Diego County Democratic Party
- He has also received the March of Dimes Legislative Champion Award, the Courageous Leadership Award from the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce, the 2013 Solar Champion Award, the Distinguished Service Award by the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges, the Filipino American Lawyers of San Diego President’s Award and the infrequently bestowed Lanterman Award from the California Association for Postsecondary Education and Disability.
CAREER EDUCATOR AND ATTORNEY
- Senator Block served as a dean, professor, and legal advisor at San Diego State University for 26 years. While at SDSU he also served as the Founding Chair and Director of the National Higher Education Law and Policy Institute. Block received outstanding faculty awards five times and was given the university’s Distinguished Service Award upon his retirement.
- Prior to this work at San Diego State University, Block served as the Director of Student Legal Services at Western Illinois University, and prior to that he taught history for five years in Skokie, Illinois.
- After attending Syracuse University, Senator Block earned his B.A. in Political Science and Education from Indiana University, and his J.D. from DePaul University in Chicago. He has lived in the 39th Senate District for more than 30 years.
Information regarding Senator Block’s legislative priorities and major legislative accomplishments can be found at http://sd39.senate.ca.gov/legislation