Internship Program Application
Senator Toni Atkins is seeking bright and engaged high school seniors or undergraduate students who are interested in civic engagement and community service. Interns acquire and improve upon useful skills such as public relations, written and oral communications, and office administration. Joining #TeamToni will offer the rewarding experience of working with a legislator who deeply cares about the community and the issues they face. Top issues of importance to Senator Atkins include: affordable housing and homelessness, healthcare, LGBT and women’s rights, veterans issues, the environment and more. As an intern, you will be prepared to provide support to staff with special events, constituent services, and general administrative duties of the district office.
Preference will be given to applicants who live, work, or attend school in the 39th Senate District. Check your address.
- Application due January 15th for Spring Semester applicants (February – May).
- Application due May 15th for Summer applicants (June – August).
- Application due August 15th for Fall Semester applicants (September – December).
About the 39th Senate District:
Senator Toni Atkins represents nearly 1 million constituents in over 100 different communities, including the cities of Coronado, Solana Beach, and Del Mar. See a map of the district.
Essential duties include:
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Proficient in using Microsoft Word and Excel
- Assist in research and planning of upcoming events and projects
- Develop clear knowledge and understanding of functions of the California State Legislature
- Assist with responding to a variety of constituent inquiries and issues
- Staffing booths at weekend community events
- Attending events with district staff
- Other tasks as assigned
Although unpaid, interns receive important benefits such as working directly with elected officials, community leaders and local residents. Interns may also qualify for internship credit from their university or school, as well as earn a letter of recommendation from the Senator.
How to apply:
Please fill out the application below. Your cover letter should describe your interest in public service and why you would like to intern in Senator Toni Atkins’ office. If you have any questions, please email or call Chevelle Newell-Tate, Internship Coordinator, at (619) 645-3133 or Chevelle.Tate@sen.ca.gov.
*Note: This is a voluntary and unpaid internship.
Thank you for your interest!